Letting Go Of The Past & Forgiveness of Self
If you feel as though you’re carrying baggage around on your shoulders, your half way to letting go. In order to resolve issues or problems in your life, you must go through the process of Acknowledgment, Acceptance, Forgiveness, Action and Letting Go. Acknowledgment and acceptance is often the easy steps to getting rid of unwanted emotional baggage.
The forgiveness, action and letting go are the hard parts. But through inner reflection, counseling and meditation, you can learn to forgive and let go. Sometimes forgiving and letting go on a spiritual level can help you release the pain and emotional hurt you feel on a physical level as well. Keep in mind that “Forgiveness isn’t for the other person or situation, it’s for YOU and it’s about healing yourself.”
“We cannot change the past,
but we can change the way we allow the past to
control our present and our future.”
Whither you’re letting go of past bad habits, an old hurt, a bad relationship, grieving over the loss of a loved one, pet or friend, or something more serious, meditation is a good way to start. This meditation is designed to raise your consciousness and connect with the inner cause or the person you feel hurt by on a spiritual level.
Since this is a special meditation, you may want to prepare your meditation space in a special way. Add a few ritualistic items, such as lighting a white candle and saying a prayer stating your intent for this meditative session. Some people like to decorate their meditative space with religious symbols to add to the spiritual significance of this meditation. Whatever feels right to you is what’s most important here.
Find a piece of music you really like for meditation and stick with it. If you use the same piece each time you meditate, you will pre-program your mind to step into a state of relaxation. Each time you practice, your mind will move into this state with less effort and more quickly, allowing you more time for greater meditative work. My personal favorite piece is called Ascension to All That Is by Robert Slap. You can find it on Amazon.com.
Once you are all set and prepared, this is what you do. Take your time, try to imagine as much detail as possible.
Letting Go Meditation:
- Sit in a comfortable position, one that you can sustain for about 30-45 minutes.
- Close your eyes and take in a deep cleansing breath. Fill your lungs to their fullest capacity. Then release the breath through your mouth and push all the air out of your body. Take in 3 deep breaths through the nose, imagine the white light from the universe coming into your lungs and collecting at your solar plexus.
- With all 3 exhales, imagine all the stress, anxiety and negativity leaving your body carried out to the universe on a gray smoke where it can be dissipated and no longer do harm to anyone. As you exhale, imagine the events of the day or week floating out of your body. Put these worries aside and begin to relax your entire body and mind. Feel the tension in your muscles begin to subside. Begin at your solar plexus and imagine the white light moving up and down your body from this point. Imagine the warmth of the energy as it passes through your muscles and organs. Feel the tingling sensations as the light moves down to your toes and up your body to the top of your head. Imagine your entire body engulfed by this white divine light, from the inside out.
- Say a prayer once more asking your guides and teachers to come to you and to help with the purpose of this mediation. Ask them to lend their energy to your spiritual protection and to provide support for your purpose. State your intention clearly and ask ‘God’ to help you with your meditative journey. Don’t forget to thank them up front for their efforts.
- This step takes a little practice, don’t worry if you can’t do this for any extended period of time, but at least give it a try. Keep your eyes closed, but look up at the pituitary gland. This is a small gland located in the middle of your forehead, just above the brow. (this is also considered to be the position of your third eye and is therefore the gateway to higher conscious realms). Try to keep your eyes focused on this point. The muscles around your eyes may become sore as you stretch them upward, so don’t over do this at first. As you practice, this step will become easier and easier to do.
- As you focus on your third eye imagine your at the base of a tunnel, dimly light and slanted upward. Imagine your astral body (or your soul) standing up from your physical body and begin to walk toward and into the tunnel. See the lights on the walls and the texture of the floor as you walk through the tunnel. Imagine yourself moving upward.
- Just a head of you, you see a set of glass doors and through those doors you can see a brilliant white light. You feel in your heart that this is the light of the universal consciousness, of God. A feeling of Peace, calm, protection and knowledge fills your insides. With each step closer, you feel more relaxed and at peace..you feel uplifted and connected to this universal energy.
- As you approach the doors, they automatically open and invite your soul into this realm of enlightenment. This is your spiritual sanctuary. The one place where you are always safe and protected from all things. In the center of the room is a place for you to sit down and enjoy the calm and security.
- As you position your self in the seating area, imagine yourself closing your eyes and mentally connecting with the person or the inner issue that is causing you harm. If it’s an issue, try to imagine it in a form that you can talk with. It can be a ghostly presence, a ball of energy, what ever form you feel it should take. If it’s a person, mentally connect with what you see as their spiritual essence. As their permission to join you in your sanctuary.
- It’s important ask permission. And equally important to “listen” for their response. If you feel the answer is no, tell them you are letting them go and then return to your sanctuary.
- If the answer is yes, imagine this persons spiritual self joining you in your sanctuary. Remember you are perfectly safe here. Nothing will happen to you, you will never be in any danger.
- Once you are spiritually facing the person or issue, explain why you have asked them here. Explain your feelings and emotions. But in a way that does not place blame on the person or yourself. Explain to them that you’ve acknowledge and accepted the issue at hand.
- Then tell them you are forgiving them and why. Explain why this issue is being resolved within yourself and why you feel the need to forgive.
- Next, explain why you feel this “baggage” is no longer yours to own and it belongs to them. Tell them, you are giving the hurt and pain back and moving on. Explain that they need to deal with the issues within them self if you feel that is appropriate. But that you will no longer accept the pain or hurt that has been on your shoulders and in your heart.
- Lastly, state firmly and without doubt, “I forgive you. I let you go. I am moving on with my life.”
- There’s no need to wait for an acceptance or ok. Once you have made your statement, you’re done. This is YOUR time and YOUR sanctuary where you make the rules and laws.
- Once you have made your statement, you can conclude your visit. Thank them for coming and tell them it’s time for them to go forever. Watch the person or energy rise and walk out your sanctuary doors..never to return again.
- Take a moment to thank yourself and spiritually celebrate your accomplishment. Wither it’s tears of joy, or great party, you’ve done something so significant to your life that you deserve a pat on the back and hug. So imagine your divine presence, a spirit guide or whatever spiritual help you called into your sanctuary holding you and providing congratulations.
- Now, it’s time to relax. Take a deep breath and prepare to return to the waking world.
- Make sure you thank your divine presence and guides deeply for their gift of service and protection to you. Thank them for coming here during this meditation to meet you and/or visit with you. Give them a goodbye hug, then rise from your seat and head out your sanctuary doors.
- As the doors close behind, see yourself standing at the top of the spiritual tunnel. As you move through the tunnel you become more and more aware of your surroundings and your body.
- Imagine yourself passing through the glass doors and heading back down to your meditative space. Imagine your soul walking through the door to your room, and seeing your physical body right where you left it. As your soul steps back inside your spiritual body, all the visions sensations and answers you received merge with your physical brain and are automatically stored into your conscious mind.
- Take in a deep breath, begin to feel your body, become more and more aware of your surroundings, have a nice long and hard stretch, then open your eyes.
The last thing you should do before you get up from your meditative spot is to record this event either on tape or in a journal. It’s important to do it right away while the images, feelings and sounds are still clear in your mind.
Then go out and enjoy the rest of your life!
In addition to this meditation, you might like to read Evolving the Spirit through Affirmations. If you’ve experienced a loss and are having a hard time dealing with grief, you might want to read the Dealing With Trials & Grief. This applies to the loss of a job, relationships or a loved one. If you are trying to make positive changes in your life, that may mean ending friendships or relationships that toxic to your cause. People who are constantly negative, can put their own baggage of fear onto your shoulders. You may need to limit your contact with this person, or perhaps cut them out of your life entirely. Change is not easy, but it is inevitable. Make the changes in your life on your terms, not through the fears that someone else places on your path.
© 2020 Springwolf, D.D., Ph.D. Springwolf Reflections / Springs Haven, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Originally Posted © 10.23.1996