January 1st Full Moon
Are you ready for the Full Moon on January 1st? It’s the Winter Wolf Moon in my Clan. And because the moon is still so close to Earth in its Perigee during December 2017, a lot of folks are also calling this coming full moon the Supermoon for 2018.
Supermoons aren’t anything extra special in the world of science. It’s just a commercial name for when the Moon is closest to Earth during its regular orbit around the planet. Because the Moon is closer to Earth in its perigee, it appears to be bigger than what we’re used to seeing during any other full moon through the year.
For Pagans, these closer moons can mean GrandMother Moon is coming in close to look in on the Children of Mother Earth. Esbat rituals (special observances for the phases of the moon) may give special honor to the Old Crone aspect of the Triple Goddess.
January Blue Moon
To top it off, because the full moon is occurring so early in the month, it allows us to squeeze in a 2nd full moon for this month. A Blue Moon, which graces our presence on January 31st, 2018 at 8:27am.
There are several articles here on my blog that talk more in-depth about these special phases of the Moon that you might be interested in.
- The Full Moon By Name – The Many Names of the Full Moon
- Once In A Blue Moon – Explanation, History, Significance & Ritual
- The Full Moon In The Southern Hemisphere – What Is The Name Of The Moon
- GrandMother Moon In Perigee – The Energy Of The Moon
- The Legend Of The Sun and The Moon – How The Sun Loved The Moon
- Sun & Moon – Watching On Your Phone
- Working With The Moon – On PagansPath.com
© 2017 Springwolf, D.D., Ph.D. Springwolf Reflections / Springs Haven, LLC. All Rights Reserved.